Oil pressure sensor testing should be performed as soon as the warning light appears on the control display. In this article, experts from Eurocartool will share 3 different ways to check oil pressure. You can use each method depending on the conditions and available tools. Follow along in the article below!
What is Oil Pressure Sensor testing?
Oil pressure is created by the pump pumping oil into the vehicle’s engine system. When the engine is running, lubricating oil pressure is usually in the range of 2.5 – 4 kg/cm2 (depending on the vehicle model). When the engine operates without load, the pressure level is usually below 0.5 kg/cm2.
Check the oil pressure to assess whether the normal oil pressure level is remaining stable within this level or not. If the oil pressure suddenly increases or drops unusually low, it is a sign that the lubrication system is having problems. This will greatly affect the performance and longevity of the engine system.
Oil pressure sensor testing using Multimeter
Multimeter is a device used to test power supply and can be applied to oil pressure sensors. This tool will work depending on the type of switch or sensor on the vehicle.
Step 1. Prepare the necessary tools: multimeter, test lead set, plug clamp set, manufacturer’s instruction manual.
Step 2. Turn off the engine and ensure that the oil pressure system has stopped and no pressure remains.
Step 3: Determine the location of the oil pressure sensor. Typically, it is attached to the oil pressure system, near the oil pipe or oil filter.
Step 4. Use the plug clamp to connect the test lead from the multimeter to the oil pressure sensor. Make sure the connections are made securely and there are no leaks.
Step 5. Turn on the multimeter and select pressure measurement mode. Make sure the settings are correct for measuring oil pressure.
Step 6. Turn on the engine and allow the oil pressure system to operate for a short period of time. Observe the pressure values displayed on the multimeter.
Step 7. Check the pressure value displayed on the multimeter with the standard values or manufacturer’s specifications. Compare these values to determine the accuracy of the oil pressure sensor.
Step 8. If the pressure value displayed on the multimeter does not match the standard value, the oil pressure sensor may need to be adjusted or replaced.
Step 9. When the test is completed, turn off the multimeter and remove the connections.
Note after performing oil pressure sensor testing
When oil pressure sensor testing on a Mercedes, you need to note the following points:
- Ensure safety: Before carrying out any work on the oil pressure system on your Mercedes, ensure that the engine is turned off and that there is no oil pressure left. At the same time, make sure you have removed the key from the ignition and have applied the brake lever for safety.
- Locate the oil pressure sensor: On Mercedes vehicles, the oil pressure sensor is usually attached to the fuel system or oil pump system. Find out the exact location of the sensor on your vehicle by consulting your owner’s manual or manufacturer’s technical documentation.
- Use the correct tools: Make sure you use the correct tools and equipment to perform the test. Multimeters and pressure measuring instruments must be selected and used properly.
- Follow the testing procedure: According to the manufacturer’s manual or technical documentation, follow the specific testing procedure for the oil pressure sensor on your Mercedes. This includes preparation steps, connecting test leads, selecting measurement mode and observing pressure values.
- Check standard value: Compare the pressure value displayed on the multimeter with the standard value or manufacturer’s specifications. If there is a large difference, the oil pressure sensor may need to be adjusted or replaced.
- Perform regular maintenance: To ensure proper operation of the oil pressure system in your Mercedes, follow the regular maintenance schedule recommended in the owner’s manual. This includes checking and cleaning the oil pressure sensor as required.
Theoil pressure sensor testing on the car works continuously to measure the pressure level of the car’s oil. Therefore, vehicle owners should have a periodic inspection plan to ensure this system is working as well as possible. If you want to reset the sensor but don’t have time to do it or lack the software, please contact WhatsApp: +13155472355 to get support from experts from Eurocartool.
Eurocartool provides software and equipment for many car manufacturers such as Mercedes, BMW, VAG, Ford,… You can learn more about these products at Mercedes Diagnostic Tools, BMW Tools, VAG Tools,… on our website.